Charles C. Miller, 7 October 1864

Camp of the 140th Regt. N. Y. Vols near Petersburg, Va.
October 7, 1864

Dear Parents,

I have again taken my pen in hand & will try & write you a few lines hoping they may find you all in good health & fine spirits as I am thankful I can inform you I am at present enjoying good health and in as fine sprits as I have mentioned heretofore.

The weather has been very pleasant for the past few days more so than when about to start on our last move which took place on the 29th of September.

You have at all probability heard through the columns of the paper about the last movement toward the south side railroad. The movement was well conducted & has proved what was intended. [See: The Battle of Peeble’s Farm (or Poplar Springs Church).]

On the 29th of last month, early in the morning, we left camp taking a southwestern direction. We had not proceeded more than a mile from camp when we threw out our skirmishers & soon found the enemy’s pickets which were driven in in a short time. On our boys went and it was not long before they came in sight of the enemy’s line of earthworks which were very strong. There was also a fort with three or four guns. Arriving in sight of this line, our boys charged & carried the centre line & capturing one piece of artillery and a number of prisoners. On we went till we came to another Rebel fort which they had to abandon owing to the first being captured. In this fort, our regiment was taken in where we remained a short time, then were taken out & deployed as skirmishers, or in other words, established a strong picket line to hold the enemy in check until a line of battle came up. Immediately after the arrival of the line of battle arrived, they commenced throwing up earthworks where they remained.

On the morning of October 1st, our regiment was ordered to go & relieve a regiment that was on the picket line. We had no more than relieved then when the enemy cold be seen making preparations to advance on our line, deploying their skirmishers. On they came. Our boys opened upon them with a brisk fire of musketry which sent their skirmish line in confusion. They, however, managed to rally & on they came again in their [  ], a line of battle advancing. The skirmishing by this time had become very brisk in which we were compelled to fall back about one half mile across an open field to our main line of battle. I had no more than got over our works when a terrible volley from our boys was sent into the enemy’s ranks. Here the conflict opened which lasted only a few moments & which resulted in a fine repulse of the enemy with a considerable number killed & wounded. Thus ended the conflict with the exception of the picket firing which was kept up very rapid on both sides during the remainder of the day. During the whole day it rained very hard which was very disagreeable. At night large fires were built & which served a little towards drying our clothing.

On the following morning the enemy sharpshooters opened on our men which was very troublesome to one who would even raise his head above the works. This did not, however, continue long for we massed a body of troops in a piece of woods and the enemy picket line. This was unknown to the enemy. Our boys gave one yell & away they bounded over the field, driving everything before them & taking one line of works more as they [paper creased and illegible] line of battle in a distance when they fell back and occupied our old position having accomplished all they designed.

Heavy firing is going on in the direction of Richmond. I enclose $20. — C. C. Miller